FAQs Re-Registration

How much are the re-registration fees?

In accordance with KHDA fees framework, private schools in Dubai can charge up to 10% of the annual tuition fees as a non-refundable re-registration deposit to confirm the return of existing students in the new academic year. All Taaleem schools request a nominal fee of AED 2,000  for re-registration. 

What happens if I do not re-register my child by 31 March 2017?

If you have not re-registered your child(ren) by 31 March 2017, we reserve the right to offer your child(ren)’s place(s) to external applicants.

If you have ticked the ‘not re-registering’ box, our Admissions Office will be in touch to help you with any transfer documentation required.

If you have ticked the ‘not yet decided’ option we would ask you to contact the Principal or Head of School with any concerns or queries you may have.

In the event that we do not receive any communication from you, we reserve the right to offer your child(ren)’s place(s) to external applicants.

What happens if we are planning to move out of Dubai?

Please inform the school as soon as possible if there is a change in your personal circumstances necessitating your family’s relocation outside of Dubai or the UAE. We will usually refund your deposit if a withdrawal application is made by 30 June 2017, in writing, to the Admissions Office. The school may ask for further documentation to support your claim. Please note we are unable to offer any refund of the deposit for requests received on and after 1 July 2017. 

What happens if school fees increase and I cannot afford them?

We will not be implementing a tuition fee increase for the next academic year 2017/18. Our tuition fees will therefore remain at the same level of 2016/17.

For further details on KHDA regulations please refer to the ‘School Fees Framework’ on the following link:

I am in arrears with my school fees from last year, what should I do?

Students with any outstanding fees may not be eligible to re-enrol for the following academic year. If you are experiencing any financial difficulties please contact the Principal immediately as the continuity of your child’s education is extremely important to us. Please contact the Principal directly so that we can work with you to resolve any difficulties. I have indicated that .

I will not be re-registering my child(ren) for 2017/2018, how do I obtain my leaving documents?

All families must complete a withdrawal form in order to request all leaving documents. This form can be downloaded from the school website or picked up at reception and should be completed at least one month prior to withdrawal. I have had challenges providing the documents asked for by the school to complete the KHDA registration process.

What should I do?

Please work with us so that we can keep the KHDA informed.  Please also note when the school is unable to register students with KHDA due to incomplete documentation, you may be asked to wait to take up your school place until the process is complete. What happens if my child needs extra .

Language/Learning Support in addition to that normally provided by the school?

We will work with you to ensure that your child receives the extra support needed for them to succeed at school. We have a team of SEND teachers who provide specialized resources and interventions to support your child’s Student Passport or Individual Education Plan, as part of their basic tuition. If it is deemed that your child needs additional support, SEND Inclusion programs are available for a fee. Charges incurred due to the extra support will be discussed and agreed with you prior to the commencement of any language/learning support.